International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women
Today is International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. You may want to read about it:
- UN Women – End Violence Against Women (The site is very, very busy today though so might be slow)
This might also be of interest:
- Committing to Eliminating Violence Against Women – Time to match words with deeds Blog post by Scarlet Harris TUC Women’s Equalitydefinition Officer
And today on Twitter @CountDeadWomen are listing every British woman killed by a partner this year.
Also note that today marks the beginning of 16 days of action against gender violence.
A few statistics:
- 35 per cent of women worldwide have experienced either physical and/or sexual violence. However, some national studies show that up to 70 per cent of women have experienced physical and/or sexual violence in their lifetime from an intimate partner.
In the UK
- Domestic violence will affect 1 in 4 women in their lifetime.
- In any one year, there are 13 million separate incidents of physical violence or threats of violence against women from partners or former partners.
- In a study by Shelter, 40% of all homeless women stated that domestic violence was a contributor to their homelessness.
- 30% of domestic violence starts in pregnancy.
- Approximately 80,000 women suffer rape and attempted rape every year. Conviction rates for rape are now at their lowest, far lower than other crimes. Only 5.7% of reported rape cases end in a conviction for the perpetrator.
- As many as 85% women in prostitution report physical abuse in the family, with 45% reporting familial sexual abuse.
- Between 1,000 and 10,000 women and girls are trafficked into the UK each year for sexual exploitation.
And some relevant organisations and campaigns you might want to read about/follow on Twitter….
- EVAW Coalition @EVAWhd http://www.endviolenceagainstwomen.org.uk/
- Women’s Aid @womensaid http://www.womensaid.org.uk/
- Refuge @RefugeCharity http://refuge.org.uk/
- Daughters of Eve @DaughtersofEve http://www.dofeve.org/
- AVA @AVAproject http://www.avaproject.org.uk/
- White Ribbon Campaign @menantiviolence White Ribbon Campaign
- nia @nia_endingVAWG http://www.niaendingviolence.org.uk/
- Million Women Rise @MillionWomen http://www.millionwomenrise.com/
- Respect UK @RespectUK http://www.respect.uk.net/
- Karma Nirvana @KarmaNirvanaUK http://www.karmanirvana.org.uk/